CELAC and European consortium for a personalized medicine approach to Gastric Cancer
Financing: This project has received funding from the European Union’s Horizon 2020 research and innovation programme under grant agreement No 825832.
Duration: January 2019 – December 2022
LEGACy is a partnership between 11 organisations academic and non-academic/industry partners from Argentina, Belgium, Chile, Germany, Mexico, The Netherlands, Paraguay, Portugal and Spain.
- Instituto Investigación Sanitaria INCLIVA (INCLIVA), Valencia, Spain
- Institute of Pathology and Molecular Immunology of the University of Porto (IPATIMUP)/Institute of Research and Innovation in Health (i3S), Porto, Portugal
- GenPat, Asunción, Paraguay
- Stichting VUMC (VUMC), Amsterdam, The Netherlands
- Vall d’Hebron Institute of Oncology (VHIO), Barcelona, Spain
- Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile (PUC), Santiago, Chile
- InstitutoNacional de Cancerología (INCAN), Mexico, Mexico.
- Anaxomics Biotech, S.L. (ANAX), Barcelona, Spain
- Instituto Alexander Fleming (IAF), Buenos Aires, Argentina
- Universitaet Leipzig (ULEI), Leipzig, Germany
- European Cancer Patient Coalition (ECPC), Brussels, Belgium
The primary aim of LEGACY is to improve Gastric Cancer (GC) outcomes by applying personalized medicine at the three levels of prevention: based on an “omics integrative epidemiology” conceptual model.
Three clinical studies will lead to the achievement of the proposed objectives.
a) A case-control study focusing on GC risk factors;
b) a cohort study focusing on advanced GC multi-omic characterization for a consensus diagnosis algorithm to guide the therapeutics
c) An interventional study at the primary and secondary levels of prevention through education for the general population on GC risk factors and alarm symptoms.
We also aim at identifying regional differences based on behavioural, socioeconomic, and educational structure, as well as the healthcare policy backgrounds and the socio-economic strata of each country from EU and CELAC populations.